Questions to Answer in a Interview:
- What are your short and long-range goals and how are you preparing yourself to achieve them?
- What do you see yourself doing five years from now?
- What are the most important rewards you expect in and from your career?
- Why did you apply for this position?
- What do you consider to be your greatest strengths and weaknesses (technically or otherwise)?
- How would you describe yourself (personality, etc.)?
- What qualifications do you have that make you think you will be successful in this position?
- In what ways do you think you can make a contribution to our company?
- What two or three professional accomplishments have given you the most satisfaction? Why?
- How do you work under pressure? Give me an example.
- How would you describe the ideal next step or job for you?
- What do you know about our company? (Be sure you have read the COMPUTING, HI-TECH & TELECOMMUNICATIONS CAREER HANDBOOK "Career Profiles" on your chosen employers).
- What have you learned from your mistakes?
- What criteria are you using to evaluate the company for which you hope to work?
Questions to ask in an Interview:
- Would you please describe a typical month in this role?
- What would you say are the three most desirable qualities you are seeking in a candidate for this role?
- What does success look like in this role and how will it be measured? (excellent)
- Please describe the history and growth of the company.
- Who are the major competitors, and what competitive advantage (or disadvantage) do they have in terms of product, market share, methods of marketing, and strengths and weaknesses? Caution: Ask this question after doing your homework first so that you may gain further insight.
- In the most recent company history, what have been the biggest advances and setbacks?
- Looking head over the next 6-12 months, what is your highest priority?
- What are the top traits of your most successful performers? (excellent question)
- What qualities have contributed to the successes and shortcomings of past persons in the role? (excellent question)
- What direction do you see the company going in over the next 5 years or the next 5 to 10 years?
- Based on our discussion and review of my background, what might you see as my greatest potential challenge?
- How do my qualifications compare to the expectations of the role?
- Closing Question: What is the next step? (Good question if not already covered)
- Closing Question: After having met with me and reviewing my background, how do you see me fitting into this role/organization?
NOTE: the value of closing questions is the receipt of immediate, first-hand feedback. Closing time is important and the perfect opportunity to absolve any interviewer concerns.